Nowadays people have become more and more conscious about their health and fitness. So inorder to maintain a good and healthy body, running is one of the best exercises. So let’s check out the best apps for running for Android that can help you to become fit in a managed and systematic way. You can also check out Benefits Of Running. We have made this list based on experience and research. We have also kept the beginners to jogging in our mind while creating this post and therefore this list will also serve as a list of best running apps for beginners.
- 1 Top 10 Best Running Apps For Android 2016
- 1.1 Adidas Train and Run
- 1.2 Runkeeper
- 1.3 Couch to 5K Run by RunDouble
- 1.4 Endomondo
- 1.5 Runtastic
- 1.6 Zombies, Run!
- 1.7 Strava
- 1.8 Nike+ Running
- 1.9 Google Fit
- 1.10 Sports Tracker
Top 10 Best Running Apps For Android 2016
Adidas Train and Run
Adidas Train and Run has some cool features packed into it. It has miCoach inside it which turns your phone into a personal coach. It also features a real-time voice coaching. Also, it allows you to share your workout pictures on social networks with your friends. Along with this, it lets you schedule your workout and also the app is GPS enabled. So this app is a complete package for running enthusiasts.
Features of Adidas Train And Run
- Track every element of your life with daily activity tracking capabilities tracking steps taken, calories burned and distance covered when paired with your Fit Smart.
- Get training tips, motivation and inspiration from weekly blog updates.
- Keep your routine fresh and new with access to 100s of free cardio, strength and flexibility training plans.
- Let your friends know how your training is going by sharing workouts and photos to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, other fitness platforms and more.
- Keep track of all your workouts and training schedules to see all the hard work you’re putting in!
- Listen to your favorite music during runs or strength and conditioning workouts.
- Set personalized weekly goals to help you stay motivated and on track.
- Let your routine work around your schedule, by adjusting goals and plans.
- Tap and go for a fresh new run by mapping workout routes in real-time with GPS tracking.
- Improve faster with the help of real-time voice coaching.
- Check just how much effort you put in by analyzing your zone training post-run through colored route tracking.
- Have your personal trainer with coached workouts giving you more insights on your activity.
- Try sample workouts or create your favorite coached workouts.
- Explore the app while setting weekly goals or adding training plans.
- Integrate with other fitness platforms including Myfitnesspal and Strava.
- Sync up with your Fit Smart via Wireless Bluetooth™ syncing.
Runkeeper secures the second spot in our list of best apps for running for Android. It is one of the most accurate apps you can download. It can calculate your running speed, running distance and number of calories burnt. You can also add your workout plan with audio instructions. It has some pre-installed training plans by renowned coaches like Jeff Galloway. So we suggest you this app if you are just getting started with running. This is probably the best running app for beginners.
Features of Runkeeper
- Calculate running pace, cycling speed, route distance, elevation, and calorie burn for any fitness activity – in high accuracy and real time!
- Find and follow pre-planned routes and map your run or walk on the go.
- Follow training plan workouts or create your own with audio coaching.
- Get audio updates while you work out about your total mileage, calorie count, pace, speed, mileage.
- Sync your Polar Heart Rate Monitor to track your heart rate and stay in heart rate zones.
- Use your Pebble or Android Wear smart watch to track all your stats, right on your wrist!
- Run while listening to music – Runkeeper automatically integrates with your phone’s music app.
- Easily add your indoor cardio (treadmill, elliptical) and gym workouts (Yoga, Crossfit) right in the app to keep a full training log all in one place.
- Track right from your home screen with the Runkeeper Android widget
Get motivation and guidance to finish a race, lose weight, or get in shape. Runkeeper is THE training app for all skill levels- “Couch to 5k” all the way up to Marathon training for speed!
- Find and follow Run/Walk training plans as a beginner.
- Get coached with 10k, Half Marathon and Full Marathon training plans for more advanced runners built by renowned coaches like Jeff Galloway.
- Train for weight loss with “running for fat loss” plans by Mike Diebler.
- Already using a Greatist training calendar? Runkeeper has those too!
- See your entire training calendar directly in the running app, and get coached through each workout while you run with audio cues.
- Sync Runkeeper.com with the best fitness apps you’re already using for nutrition, sleep monitoring, weight, step tracking, calorie counting and getting rewards. Runkeeper integrates with popular fitness apps and devices like:
– MyFitnessPal calorie tracking app
– Fitbit activity monitoring devices
– Garmin Forerunner GPS watches and Garmin Connect
– Withings wifi scales
– Sleep Cycle app
– Hundreds of other apps and devices like, Lose it!, Jawbone Up, GymPact, Earnedit, Fitocracy, Zombies Run, Gym Hero, pedometers and more!
- Set goals to run a half marathon, lose weight, complete a total distance or set a personal record.
- Chart your progress, get notified at every milestone, and see a full log of all your past goals.
- See a full list of all your personal bests for races, distances and times for any sport or activity, whether you’re doing epic hiking treks, running ultra-marathons (we sip battery).
- Easily share your fitness activities and successes with your friends on Facebook, Twitter and beyond!
- Invite and follow your friends to join you on Runkeeper, follow their journey and motivate them to succeed through commenting and liking their activity on Runkeeper’s Fitness feed.
- Compete against your friends for a top spot on monthly activity leaderboards.
- Use Runkeeper Live tracking to let your friends watch your fitness activities while you’re on the move.
- Use Lifetime insights to see average pace trends and sum up how much your doing each week, month, or over your entire training history.
- Compare and rank all of your activities by speed and distance to see where everything stacks up.
- Get weekly prescribed workouts that consider your running level, schedule, and the weather
Couch to 5K Run by RunDouble
Couch to 5k Run by RunDouble is one for the lazy people (Like me :p). It helps you to get started with running and reaching your target. It has some useful features like heart rate monitor, notifications about your progress etc. The biggest advantage is that it runs in the background, unlike most of the other best running tracker apps available. There are different plans in this app such as Couch to 5K, Couch to 10K, Couch to 15K, 5k improver, 10K event training, Half Marathon event training and Fun runs (From 1K to 10 miles). All the plans are free for the first two weeks then you can upgrade to the plan you want. Fun runs are completely free forever.
Features of Couch to 5K Run
- Runs in the background, unlike some other apps which stop when you switch off the screen.
- Prompts you to change pace while working through the Couch to 5K training program.
- Tracks your time, distance and pace, announcing these to you at the end of each interval.
- Plays a playlist of your choosing, from your personal music selection. Or, use another app to play music.
- View your previous runs on your phone or on our website.
- Additional pace updates at set intervals.
- Half way marker.
- Programmable pace warning (target pace).
- Support for heart rate monitor
- Web service:
– Track your progress.
– View your route on a map.
– View detailed statistics about your workout.
– Post to Facebook, and share your successes with friends.
Endomondo has more features than any other best running tracker app available in 2016. It has tracking for running, cycling and 40+ other sports. It gives a voice feedback of every km/mile. You can check calories burnt, speed, duration, distance and more about your workout. It has a social integration that allows you to talk and check real-time stats with your friends, race against your friend’s best time, check their workout news feed, etc. The premium version of Endomondo gives you about 10+ additional motivating features.
Features of Endomondo
- Track your running, walking, cycling, and 40+ other sports using GPS.
- See duration, speed, distance, calories, and more on your workout summary.
- Get audio feedback on distance and pace for every mile/km.
- Log your indoor workouts manually.
- Track your heart rate (works with Bluetooth heart rate monitors).
- Keep a full training log.
- See how much you train each day.
- Analyze performance such as split times for each workout.
- Get your calorie and nutrition information from MyFitnessPal right in the app.
- Connect with Google Fit to add workout data to your dashboard.
- Use your favorite wearable devices to track, including Garmin, Gear, Pebble, and Android Wear.
- Set a time, distance or calorie goal, and let our audio coach guide you towards it.
- Commit to fitness goals and let your friends motivate you.
- Up the stakes on your workouts and win prizes with challenges.
- Send and receive real-time audio pep talks from friends.
- Check the news feed to comment on friends’ workouts.
- Race against a friend’s personal best time.
- Share results and workouts on your favorite social networks: Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
- Add pictures, tag your friends, enable automatic pause function, customize your home screen, use countdown, and much more.Also Read: Free Music Download Apps
Runtastic has some of the best features available in any jogging tracking app. It has voice feedback, you can watch your workout in 3D, you can share your location with your friends also the app provide you an option for your friends to cheer you up. It automatically pauses the session when you stop. It has a customizable dashboard that allows you see what you want, i.e., you can select stats like pace, duration, calories burnt, etc. Also, you can enjoy music directly from Runtastic app via Google Play Music, Spotify, SoundCloud and much more (available on Android 4.4 or above).
Features of Runtastic
- Real Voice Coach: Audio feedback based on your personal preferences.
- Map workouts in real-time with GPS & monitor exercise progress.
- Personal workout diary, advanced statistics & graphs.
- Mapping: Detailed live mapping & historic mapping of training sessions (Google Maps).
- Runtastic Earth View: Watch your workout in 3D (free Google Earth App required).
- LIVE Tracking & Cheering: Show your friends where you are & draw motivation from their cheers.
- Running Leaderboard: See who’s run the furthest this/last week or this month.
- Routes: Create, browse & find routes and save them to your Android phone.
- Customizable dashboard configuration: Display preferred training statistics (duration, distance, pace, speed, heart rate, calories burned, elevation gain, time, post-workout hydration recommendation) during your workouts.
- Monthly & overall metrics for elevation gain, pace, speed, heart rate, distance, the number of workouts, duration & calories burned.
- Auto Pause: Session is paused automatically when you stop moving.
- Use Runtastic Training Plans to make progress & reach fitness goals.
- Interval run training, coaching and dynamic split (km/mi) tables.
- Training Goals: Select a calorie, distance or pace goal to optimize training.
- Challenge a Run: Compete against yourself by challenging past activity results.
- Geotagging: Take pictures during your workout and see them on the map on Runtastic.com.
- Runtastic Wearable Connect: Display activity stats on Runtastic Orbit & Runtastic Moment, our 24/7 wearables.
- Enjoy music with Google Play Music, Spotify, Pandora, SoundCloud & more, directly within the Runtastic app (available on Android 4.4 and above).
- Colored Traces: Colors indicate training changes, incl. pace, elevation, slope.
- Manual entry of workouts: Add treadmill, spinning, weight lifting workouts & more.
- Integrate Runtastic activities to your MyFitnessPal account & Google Fit.
- Android Wear Integration: Control your Runtastic app with Android Wear.
- Share sports activities on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp & via email.
As the name says Zombies, Run! Saves your life by running for your health. This app allows you to chose a plot and save yourself from zombies by giving voice instructions. Every time you run it gives you vital supplements, batteries, and food. You can build your community, farm to survive after the apocalypse. Thus, this app motivates you to run life. This app rightly deserves the sixth spot in our list of best running training apps 2016.
Features of Zombies, Run!
- Zombies, Run! works anywhere and at any speed. You can jog in a park, run along a beach, or walk along a trail. It even works on treadmills!
- Hundreds of lives are counting on you. You’ve got to rebuild your base from a few shivering survivors into a fortified beacon of civilization by collecting critical supplies and avoiding roving zombie hordes. Can you save them and learn the truth about the zombie apocalypse?
- You become the hero in an epic story of humanity’s struggle for survival where your running *really* matters, and there’s a deeper mystery to be uncovered as well. Play the first four missions for free and unlock one extra mission every week.
- Unlock all 200+ story missions immediately for unlimited play, plus Interval Training and Airdrop Mode. Pro is available for $2.99/month or $19.99/year. Your subscription will automatically renew. (Existing paid players will have access to a special discounted membership rate, plus free access to all game modes and S1-3 missions).
- Choose your own custom playlists before you start running: the story unfolds in between your tracks through a series of dynamic radio messages and voice recordings.
- Saving the world not exciting enough? Activate Chases to kick things up a notch. When you hear zombies on your six, it’s time to speed up before they get too close. Can you escape every mob, or will you have to drop some of your hard-earned supplies to distract them? There’s only one way to find out.
- View detailed graphs and stats for your entire running and game progress — and check out which songs you play the most while escaping zombies!
- Every time you run, you’ll automatically collect vital supplies like medicine, batteries, and food. Once you’re home, you can use them to build your very own post-apocalypse community. Do you strengthen your defenses against the zombies, or build a new farm? Share the results with your friends and find out who can make the brightest future for humanity.
- Register with our free ZombieLink service to view and share your runs online, complete with maps and full run history!
Strava has been one of the most popular apps among runners and cyclists. It has a personal challenge feature that allows you to push you limits further more. You can compete with your friends as to who is more fit. And like every other app in our list of good running apps , it allows you to track distance, pace, calories burnt, etc.
Features of Strava
- Activity Tracking: During and after activity, get key stats like distance, pace, speed, elevation gained and calories burned, as well as an interactive map of your activity.
- Training Log: Monitor your training and track your improvement over time.
- Route Discovery: Discover new places to run or ride, or follow routes you’ve created with mobile navigation.
- Social Training: Follow friends, training buddies, and pros to view each other’s activities and encourage them with kudos and comments.
- Activity Photos: Showcase the best moments of your run or ride.
- Friendly Competition: Dig deep and shoot for a top time on segment leaderboards.
- Personal Challenge: Participate in monthly Challenges designed to push you further.
- Strava on Social: Share activity details on Facebook and Twitter.
- Device Friendly: Strava works with almost all GPS running watches, cycling computers, and activity trackers.
- Heart Rate: Train with a heart rate monitor for additional performance data.
- Additional web-only features, including route building, clubs, and group activities, are available to all Strava athletes at www.strava.com.
Nike+ Running helps you to get motivated and run for your good health. Nike+ Running gives you coaching from getting upto 5Km distance to becoming marathon veteran. You can show off your Nike+ level color with everyone and amp things up with a PowerSong at the press of a button. You can also compete with friends and other people.It also has a leader board feature.
Features of Nike+ Running
- Stay on track, no matter where you are. On the trail, treadmill, or streets, MotionX® combines your phone’s GPS and accelerometer for the most accurate tracking of your of your distance, pace and time.
- Measure your progress every mile with in-run audio feedback.
- Share your runs and let your friends keep you going with cheers along the way. Show off your Nike+ level color and amp things up with a PowerSong at the press of a button.
- Nothing’s as motivating as a little friendly competition. Compete with your friends for the top leaderboard spot, or go toe-to-toe against them in a Nike+ Challenge. Just set distance. Invite your friends. And race to the finish.
- Whether you’re looking to take on your first 5K or smash your marathon PR, Nike+ Coach gives you a training program, coaching expertise, and daily workouts to get you race ready.
- Nike+ Running Handsets – Verified
– Motorola Droid2 Global
– HTC ThunderBolt, Incredible2, My Touch 4G Slide, One Max
– Samsung Galaxy Nexus, S, SII, S III, S4, S5, Note, Note II, Note III, S4, S5, Mega
– Motorola Droid RAZR, Moto X
– Google Nexus 5
Powered by the search engine giant Google, Google Fit apps lets you track your activities. You can set your goals, manage your info like sleep time, weight, nutrition, and fitness by connecting it to Android Wear, Nike+, Runkeeper, Strava, MyFitnessPal, Lifesum, Basis, Sleep as Android, Withings, and Xiaomi Mi bands. You can also check your stats from the website (fit.google.com).
Features of Google Fit
- Effortlessly track any activity. As you walk, run, or cycle throughout the day, your phone or Android Wear watch automatically logs them with Google Fit.
- Get instant insights. See real-time stats for your runs, walks, and rides. Google Fit will record your speed, pace, route, elevation, and more so you can stay motivated and on track.
- Reach your fitness goals. Set goals based on steps, time, distance, calories burned. Receive personalized recommendations and coaching for activity goals.
- Measure your wellness. Aggregates info from other apps to track fitness, nutrition, sleep, and weight: Android Wear, Nike+, Runkeeper, Strava, MyFitnessPal, Lifesum, Basis, Sleep as Android, Withings, and Xiaomi Mi bands.
- Check in from anywhere. Track your progress from your phone, tablet, the web (fit.google.com) and even your Android Wear watch.
Sports Tracker is the top rated fitness app as per it’s users. You can track and analyze your performance, get voice feedback during training, share your photos with friends, and other Sports Tracker users. This app is the last app in our list of top 10 Best Running Apps For Android 2016.
Features of Sports Tracker
- Track and analyze your performances, monitor your progress.
- Store all training data in your personal workout diary.
- Keep track of everything from calories burned to average training speed, running pace and altitude.
- Use maps, time and distance calculators.
- Get voice feedback during training.
- Share running, cycling and other workouts and photos with other trackers on Sports Tracker, Facebook and Twitter.
- See your friends’ profiles and comment their workouts and photos.
- Explore the globe to discover new routes, trails and adventures worldwide.
- HEART RATE MONITORING: Take your training to the next level with the Sports Tracker Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor.
- FREE ONLINE SERVICE
Automatic backup of your workouts, detailed maps and analysis views, friends’ workouts and lots more – together with the full-featured online service the Sports Tracker is the most powerful social sports tracking solution available for Android. Join the growing global Sports Tracker community and have fun getting fit!
So, these were the Top 10 Best Running Apps for Android. Share your experience in comments if you use any of the above-listed apps. Let us know via comments if we missed any good running app. Stay tuned to Android Blender for more 😉